Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Meals

This summer the kids have enjoyed going out to the garden and picking some beans or beets or lettuce for our meals.

I have been eating my fair share of lettuce this summer. I have a favorite salad. And it goes a little something like this:

Chopped lettuce Diced Gala apple
Handful of craisins Some crumbled feta cheese
Chopped walnuts, toasted* Newman's Own Poppy Seed dressing

Mix it all up and enjoy!

*For the toasted walnuts, I just put them on a cookie sheet at 325* for about 10 minutes, stirring them at least twice to prevent burning.

The girls like salad too, just not my salad. It's the "stinky cheese" that turns them off :) But they like their's with tomato, cucumber and ranch.

Tonight we made mini-cheeseburgers. I made up some buttermilk rolls for the buns, and we topped them with pickles & tomatoes-and lettuce from the backyard of course. And you just can't serve a cheeseburger without fries. I totally prefer sweet potato fries, but the crinkles were what I had on hand.

We have beets waiting to be harvested. Those are great in salads as well. Luckily, Emma and I are the only ones who like them. So greedy, I know; we get all those little beets to ourselves :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering and it's not even 9 AM!

Peter and Lesha said...

so not a salad person and I know I need to be but that bread looks good hahaha